Mare Barn, Then & Now
Mare Barn, Then & Now - Maasdam Barns
Mare Barn, Then & Now, Photo Comparison
THEN - A Maasdam Family photo, apparently in the 1920's.
NOW - During Open House, Oct 8, 2011.
THEN - Mare Barn left. Looking south. (2001)
THEN - Restoration on the Mare Barn is about to begin. (Jul 2007)
NOW - All three barns have been restored. The Loop Trail passes by here. (Oct 2011)
THEN - Mare Barn, south-west side. The cupola was removed at some point in the past. (2001)
THEN - Mare Barn, south-west side. (May 2005)
THEN - The Mare Barn - the windows will be restored, the roof will be replaced, and the foundation needed work. (Jul 2007)
THEN - The roof covering was replaced and a new cupola was built. SW corner. (Jan 2008)
NOW - During Open House. (Oct 2011)
THEN - Mare Barn, south-east side. (2001)
NOW - The original sign was not centered, so the reproduced sign is not either. (Aug 2010)
THEN - Mare Barn, main floor. (2001)
THEN - There are eight stalls, one for each mare. (Jul 2007)
NOW - Four mares were housed here for Open House. (Oct 2011)
NOW - The displays are ready for Open House. (Oct 2011)
THEN - Mare Barn loft, with grain bin in background. (2001)
NOW - A hole cut in the ceiling lets you see the loft. Grain bin to the left, Hay Carrier Track is at the top. (2011)
NOW - The Mare Barn, with the Show Barn behind it. (Oct 2011)
NOW - Sunset at the Maasdam Barns. (Oct 2011)
The 2007 and newer photos are by Jeff Fitz-Randolph
The 2001 black & white photos are from the Historic Study prepared for the Iowa DOT in 2002 (PDF).
Go to Restoration Photos.
Click here to see the Louden Machinery Company website
Partially funded by REAP