This Louden Overhead Auto Hoist was salvaged from a local building
It was donated to the Jefferson County Historic Preservation Commission.
Gladys Crandall, before selling the property at 117 East Broadway Avenue, gave a rare Louden Overhead Auto Hoist to the Jefferson County Historic Preservation Commission. The hoist was fabricated by the Louden Machinery Company of Fairfield, and was installed in the building in the 1920's where it was used in the automobile repair shop.
The hoist was photographed and removed for storage on 10-15-2003. The Commission expressed the desire to have it reinstalled in an appropriate period building capable of presenting and interpreting the significance of the artifact.
In May 2018 the hoist was mounted in the Cleary Barn at the Maasdam Barn complex, where its usage can be demonstrated. Although the barn is not period, special brackets were utilized to let the hoist move back and forth for a short distance to show how it works.
Text and photos courtesy of Prairie Architects. Scroll down for photos.
Click here for the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form and photos for this building, which you can download.