William Louden attended the Iowa State Fairs as a boy.
The first and second Iowa State Fairs were held in Fairfield in 1854 and 1855. A stone marker on the corner of 4th Street and Grimes Avenue tells the story (scroll down to read the plaque).
Close up view.
Another stone marker in the southwest corner of the Fairfield Square tells about the 1954 recreated one-hundredth anniversary wagon train, which traveled from the original Iowa State Fair site to the present fair site in Des Moines. Another wagon train was again re-created in 2004.